Our usual way is to move for a few hours, rest for a few more, then rest for a few more still. Today however there was to be no rest.
We were cold, and although while waiting for the lock to refill at Rechicourt the morning drizzle had gone away and we’d finally managed to get the boat interior temperature well into double figures, the view ahead promised nothing but more of the same discomfort. There was no prospect of finding antything like the little patch of sun we had found last night to raise our hopes for the afternoon.
If we kept going, we could be home in Lagarde with electricity and heat before the middle of the afternoon.
Then we could have the rest of the day off, and possibly tomorrow as well if we played our cards right, and that’s exactly what we did.